Skip to main content

Support for People with SEND Applying for Higher Education

Support for young people with disabilities applying for Higher Education

Liverpool is often described as a city of students. This description not only reflects the choice in educational opportunities in and around the region but also the opportunities the city presents for all young people to engage in a wealth of different  cultural, social, religious and historical experiences.  Universities provide additional support for young people with disabilities. Follow the links to individual websites to find more information about how you can fulfil your learning potential at one of the universities in the region.

University of Liverpool

Liverpool John Moores University

Liverpool Hope University

Edge Hill University

Chester University

Financial support for students with disabilities

Student Finance is the way most people cover the costs of their course. You may be eligible for additional financial support while you are studying via institutional grants or bursaries. You should check with your chosen university or college when applying or speak to an adviser at your Student Union. 

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) is support to cover the study-related costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.

This can be on its own or in addition to any student finance you get.

The type of support and how much you get depends on your individual needs - not your household income.

You do not need to pay back DSA.