Skip to main content

Early Years Pupil Premium

Did you know your childcare provider may be
entitled to £300 additional funding to improve
the early education of your 3 or 4 year old?

Additional funding for your child

Childcare providers can claim up to an additional £300 per year to spend on
enriching your 3 or 4 year old child’s education. If you take up less than the
full free early education entitlement, this amount will be reduced.

How could this help your child?

It will help your child to:
• Benefit from extra resources and equipment suited to their needs
• Enjoy a range of new play, learning and activity experiences
• Be prepared for starting school
• If your child moves setting the funding they have received will follow the
child, not stay with the original provider
Childcare settings will have to demonstrate to Ofsted how the funds have
been used to support your child’s learning and development. The funding can
also be transferred if your child moves to another childcare provider, if you are
still eligible for the funding.

Childcare Providers can use the funding to improve skills and qualifications of
their staff so that overall practice improves.
Funding can be combined with other settings so that more can be
achieved by pooling resources.
The funds CANNOT be used to reduce nursery fees.

Do I qualify?

If you receive one of the following benefits, your childcare provider will be
entitled to claim funding for your child:
• Income Support
• Income based Jobseekers Allowance
• Income related Employment and Support Allowance
• Child Tax Credit (providing you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit
and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
• Working Tax Credit Run-on, paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for
Working Tax Credit
• Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
• The guaranteed element of State pension Credit
Or if your child:
• Has been looked after by the local authority in care for at least one day
• Has been adopted from care
• Has left care through special guardianship
• Is subject to a child arrangement order
What do I do next?
If you think you qualify, it’s quick and easy. Talk to your childcare provider and
they will verify your eligibility and apply for the funding