Skip to main content

Transition, Preparing for Adulthood and Adult Social CareView all services

What is Transition?

Transition is the period of time when young people are moving from childhood into adulthood. The transition journey is from age 14 to 25 years. Council services for adults are different from those for children, so it is important that young adults get the advice, support and services they need to live a full life. This is a very important stage in a young person's life because they need to make plans for their future care arrangements, which will help them, live as independently as possible. 

 The key legislative frameworks that sets out the transition journey of a younger person (and their parent/carer) includes the Care Act (2014), Children and Families Act (2014) and SEND Code of Practice. Other legal frameworks include the Mental Capacity Act (2005), DOL’s/BIA and Mental Health Act (2007). The journey of transition from children to adult services is defined as being from fourteen to twenty-five years of age. 

The Care Act (2014) places a duty on local authorities to conduct assessments for children, children’s carers and young carers, where there is a likely need for care and support after the young person in question turns 18, and a transition assessment would be of ‘significant benefit’. The legal framework enables an early Care Act assessment be completed (before the age of 18), to facilitate an effective transition from children’s to adult services.

Liverpool Transition Team

In Liverpool, a transition team was set up in 2015 and is made up of 13 assessors, both social workers and social care assessors. There is also a Team Leader. The transition team is centrally located in a citywide hub. Since mid-2016, the transition team has been co-located with the Children’s Disability Team.

An individual can be referred up to the age of 25 and all referrals should be made via the City Council’s 24/7 contact centre Careline on 0151 233 3800 alternatively you can complete an on line enquiry also provides information about getting help with Adult Social Care

 The transition team receive referrals from a variety of sources:

Pathways to Adulthood

However, the Team always aim to identify young people, as early as possible, in order to plan for, or prevent the development of, care and support needs. 

At the optimal time, a supported self-assessment (SSA) is conducted that focusses on the young person’s wellbeing and their aspirations.  The process must be person-centred throughout, involving the young person and supporting them to have choice and control.  The assessment process attempts to identify the barriers to the young person realising these aspirations, and will then look at how to support the young person to overcome these barriers.  This can be done in a variety of ways, from signposting to a universal service to the commissioning of services.

Building on the strengths of an individual in conjunction with promoting independence, assessors must take an asset based and ‘Whole family’ approach to completing an assessment and providing an intervention.  This means that assessors must identify everyone in the ‘family’, particularly young carers; get the whole picture; make a plan that works for everyone and then checks that it is working for the whole family.

Adult and children services are currently working together to review the referral pathways to adult services transition team. This has led to a number of workshops to map out the current pathways and develop the key factors of what is a ‘good pathway’. The workshops adopted a co-design approach, in including multi-agencies, parents/carers and the views of young people.

Assessing Need

Once young people become adults, the framework within which they are assessed changes from the Children and Families Act (2014) and the SEND Code of Practice to The Care Act (2014) and the Mental Capacity Act (2005).  The self-supported assessment (SSA) under the Care Act should not be regarded as a ‘gateway’ to care and support.  It is a critical intervention in its own right that aims to help a young person to understand their strengths, abilities and their existing support networks, as well as their needs.  The assessment should always aim to reduce and/or delay the development of greater need, incorporating an asset based and preventative ethos. The assessment takes into account nine specific areas of wellbeing in a young person’s life, with the aim of promoting their independence. The nine areas of wellbeing that the Care Act explores are as follows:

  • Personal dignity (including treatment of the individual with respect)
  • Physical and mental health and emotional wellbeing
  • Protection from abuse and neglect
  • Control by the individual over day to day life (including over care and support provided and the way it is provided)
  • Participation in work, education, training or recreation
  • Social and economic wellbeing
  • Domestic, family and personal
  • Suitability of living accommodation
  • The individuals contribution to society

Further information on Care Act assessments can be found here 

Care and support eligibility

Eligibility criteria form part of the assessment process, which helps determine if someone is entitled to care or support services provided by or on behalf of the council. These eligibility criteria are used by all councils and are set out in the Care Act. If you are not eligible to receive support from the council, we can still provide information and signposting to other local support services

What are the eligibility criteria?

For a person to be eligible for care and support provided by the council they must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Their needs must be due to a physical or mental impairment or illness - these include sensory, learning or cognitive disabilities or illnesses, brain injuries or an illness arising from substance misuse.
  • Their needs must affect their ability to achieve two or more specified outcomes listed below.
  • Their wellbeing must be, or will likely to be, significantly affected if they do not achieve the specified outcomes listed below.
  • Achieving specified outcomes

 An assessor will look at whether the person’s needs affect their ability to achieve two or more of the following outcomes. They will also look at the level of assistance person needs, if any, to achieve them.

  • Managing and maintaining nutrition.
  • Maintaining personal hygiene.
  • Managing toilet needs.
  • Being appropriately clothed.
  • Being able to make use of the adult’s home safely.
  • Maintaining a habitable home environment.
  • Developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships.
  • Accessing and engaging in work, training, and education or volunteering.
  • Making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community including public transport and recreational facilities or services.
  • Carrying out any caring responsibilities, the adult has for a child.

Support Planning

Following the eligibility determination, the worker will then develop a care and support plan with the young person and anyone else they would like to have involved in this process. The purpose of the care and support plan is to identify how the young person’s needs are to be met and this may be in a variety of ways, including:

  • The local authority directly commissioning a service, e.g. community support, Shared Lives, respite, supported accommodation
  • The local authority providing a direct payment to those who meet a criteria, which allows the young person or someone on their behalf, to commission their own care and support
  • Putting the young person in touch with a local community group, universal service or voluntary sector organisation

 If the local authority is going to directly commission a service, the assessor completes a Service Specification.  This sets out how the service needs to look in order to meet the young person’s needs and outcomes as identified by the Care Act Assessment; how the needs are to be met, how often and by whom.  It will specify what training and skills the service needs to employ.  The service specification is then shared with appropriate providers and they are then invited to make offers of care and/or accommodation.  The young person is then able to choose from a variety of providers.

How much does Care Cost?

Commissioned Adult Social Care services are not free. Following on from your Self Supported Assessment (SSA), which works out what support you need to meet eligible needs and how much it will cost to provide, we’ll offer to complete a financial assessment to work out how much of that cost we will pay, and how much you’ll need to pay yourself. The amount of income, savings or assets you have, will determine the level of financial contribution towards some or all of your social care and support.

Further information can be found at

What if I cannot manage my own finances?

You may want help to deal with your finances. If you need to manage, the finances of someone who lacks mental capacity you will need to apply to the Courts for Legal Representation. There are two different types: 



Further information on the Mental Capacity Act  

Independent financial advice

There are independent organisations and services you can go to for financial advice. If we think, you may benefit from independent financial advice. These include charities and independent financial advisors (IFAs). Sometimes you might have to pay a fee for advice.

Liverpool City Council is unable to offer advice or recommend which organizations or IFAs you should approach.  The organizations below also offer guidance on how to find advice:

Money Advice Service

Financial Conduct Authority

Paying for Care

 You can also search for local information on money matters on LiveWell Liverpool

 Additional Information

 Carers Support

Liverpool Adult Services Directory

Housing Information