MYA YOU Project (Youth Opportunities Unlimited)
The YOU project is a citywide, strategic approach to providing services for disabled children and young people of Merseyside and their families. Through a collaborative partnership between Merseyside Youth Association and Daisy Inclusive UK we provide:
- A joined-up approach to universal and specialist services, creating visible mainstream pathways and seamless transitions.
- A combination of centre-based, outreach and mobile services and provision.
- Qualified, experienced staff, providing a range of activity, opportunity and informal education in supportive settings.
- Specialist support for all organisations delivering Youth and Play programmes through LCC, aiding facilitation of suitable provision for those with acute and complex needs.
- Provision of training opportunities for staff, volunteers and service users, including bespoke training and courses, designed in response to current local and national issues.
We champion a reverse inclusion approach to empowering children and young people while utilising a diverse range of activities to meet the needs of service users.
At the core of our MYA YOU project are the weekly SPLICE (Supported Participation Leading to Inclusion Confidence and Empowerment). These clubs champion a reverse inclusion approach to empowering service users, meaning that disabled and non-disabled children and young people participate in activity side by side.
Through regular consultation with children and young people we tailor our activities in response to need. Some of the activities we have facilitated in 2018 -19 included:
- Inclusive sport
- Indoor Rock Climbing
- Life skills and independence activities such as cooking and travel training
- Issue based work around bullying, health, relationships, risk taking, healthy eating and dealing with transition and change
- Volunteer pathways and peer mentoring
- Transition pathways into adult services
- Disability Advisory Council (DAC) youth forum
Who to contact
Where to go
- We work from a number of Youth and Play centres across the city. See dates and times section
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday evenings.
- Time of day
- Session Information
Tuesday: SPLICE @ Harthill Youth Centre, Wellington Road, L15, 6:30pm to 8:30pm for 13- 25
Wednesday: SPLICE @ Childwall YPAS South Community Hub, Lindene Road, L25 1NG 6:00pm to 8:00pm for 11-25
Thursday: SPLICE @ Shrewbury House Youth Centre, Everton, L5 3PE 6:00- 8:00
Friday:SPLICE @ Norris Green Youth Centre, Liverpool, L11 5AF 6:30- 8:30
- Please contact provider for cost details.
- Offering Tax Free Childcare.
- Referral Details
Self and family referral.
Professionals including social workers, teachers, learning mentors, youth workers.
Organisations and eductaional establishments.
- Other notes
Merseyside Youth Association are also the Citywide Lead for Disability and Inclusion in Youth and Play for LCC. As part of this role we work as a point of contact families and young people, providing holistic advice and guidance on a range of issues and topics. Please feel free to contact us directly and if we are not right people to provide what you need, then we will be able to tell you who is.
All 4 of our SPLICE clubs are based on a reverse inclusion model and are fully inclusive. Through a needs led approach we support children and young people across a broad spectrum of need, including those with more complex or challenging behaviours.
We work closely with families in order to coproduce support strategies which meet their needs. These often include incremental transition packages and settling in periods.
We strive to ensure that the SPLICE clubs are a vehicle for equity and that we can facilitate social experiences for our service users which are in line with those of their mainstream peers.
- Contact Name
- Dale Blackburn
- Contact Telephone
- Contact Email
MYA YOU/ SPLICE