Skip to main content

Housing Benefit

Who can claim?

You could get Housing Benefit to pay all or part of your rent if you’re unemployed or on a low income and live in:

  • A council property.
  • Private rented accommodation.
  • A hostel.
  • Housing association accommodation.

If you're making a new claim for benefits and help with housing costs, are of working age and live in the following postal districts it's likely you'll need to make a claim for Universal Credit

  • L4 5*, L9
  • L10 5*, L10 7*, L10 9*, L14,
  • L16, L17 0*, L17 5*, L17 6*
  • L18 3* - 9*, L19
  • L20, L24, L25, L26,  L28

If you pay rent and already receive or have applied for Universal Credit, please do not apply for Housing Benefit as your housing costs will be included in your Universal Credit payments.

How much can I claim?

The amount of Housing Benefit due to you is worked out by looking at:

  • How much money you have coming in.
  • Your circumstances and the amount of rent you have to pay.
  • The amount of savings you have - more than £16,000 will normally disqualify you (unless you qualify for Pension Credit Guarantee Credit).

Our online application form has a built in calculator which provides you with an estimate of how much Housing Benefit you might be entitled to. You will be notified of your actual award when your claim has been processed.

You can also use one of two independent benefit calculators hosted on to check if there are any other benefits and tax credits you may be entitled to.

How to apply

You can apply online on the Councils website

Who to contact

Contact Name
Benefits Service

Where to go

L3 1AH

Local Offer

Have your say